Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly ever

From: Feng Shu
Subject: Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly every Chinese emacser?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:17:07 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:14:39 +1300
>> From: Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz>
>> Cc: tumashu <tumashu@163.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> On 2021-11-14 04:21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > On GUI frames Emacs takes the width of each character in pixels from
>> > the font that is being used.
>>
>> Potentially Emacs could provide a defcustom mapping of fonts to minimum
>> character widths, and if the actual width of any character is less than
>> the customized minimum then the (larger) minimum width is used instead
>> (I guess padding either side of the character).
>>
>> I've no clue whether this is practical -- I know very little about
>> fonts.
>
> This could be done, but as I already asked up-thread: how will the
> user know what value to give to the defcustom?  Especially if Emacs is

Try from 1px to 100px, until align properly :-), we find proper size
Chinese fonts by same way :-)

> using more than one pair of fonts, due to several important features

"1 Chinese char width = 2 * ascii char width" only meanful in "table"
style environment, for example: org md table, gnus, org-agenda ....
In most case, it can not use many fonts.

> using non-default faces?  And even with the default face, what happens
> if the user does "C-x C-+"?

This is the most case, as for "C-x C-+", we just do not use it, or
rewrite to a new function.

As Chinese emacser users, we just expect align proper *in most case* :-)

> I feel that I don't understand the issue well enough, because it
> sounds strange that Emacs needs to invent a solution for a problem
> that was probably already solved umpteen times in other programs (and
> I don't mean terminal emulators, I mean GUI programs).  I very much

I do not know, maybe other GUI programs less use aligned text to create UI.