Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:56:41 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> The x-height is literally the height of the lower-case x character.  😀
>> But it's used as a shorthand to say something about the characteristics
>> of a font -- the x-height is what matters most for legibility, and the
>> ascenders (in characters like "b") and descenders (in characters like
>> "g") are separate things.
>
> We can easily get the info from the font.  But how do you propose to
> use that info?

I'm not quite sure.  But picking a variable-pitch font that has the same
x-height as the monospace font we've picked might be nice.  Of course,
that has its drawbacks -- we don't want the total height to be taller,
either.

But perhaps it can go into the mix when searching for an appropriate
font -- if we have several candidates with the correct total height,
preferring the one(s) with the same x-height would be nice, I think?