Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and org-mode)?
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:55:54 +0800

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> My point was you named a GNU project I named another one. The Linux
> kernel is not GNU software.

But why is it relevant?  The Linux kernel is free software.

> I doubt that very much, on the contrary, having the possibility to run
> GNU software on a OS makes it more attractive to stay or even to chose
> that system.

It gives the users of the proprietary system a taste of free software.
To quote part of the Emacs manual:

   We support GNU Emacs on proprietary operating systems because we hope
   this taste of freedom will inspire users to escape from them.

> For example if I am forced to run MS Office, then I would chose MacOS
> because I can, via fink, macports and homebrew, I can run GNU software,
> while that is a lot harder in MS Windows.

MS Office, MS Windows and macOS are all proprietary software.  The goal
is to eradicate them, not to make it more convenient for people to use
them.

But my main concern is whether or not it works with Octave, which
directly concerns me (as a user of Octave).  It would certainly be
disappointing if Emacs supported Matlab better than Octave, and it would
also be harmful to the GNU project.

> Ok, I really have to check that one, my guess is now, but I have to sort
> it out.

Please do that, thanks :)