Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and org-mode)?
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 18:13:08 +0100

>>> "AMS" == Alfred M Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>> I am forced to use MS Windows and
>> matlab, and don't like its internal editor.

>> I doubt (and hope) that you are really forced, rather that you might
>> find it a significant effort and non trivial effort to switch.  You
>> could try and see if you can replace matlab with GNU octave when
>> possible.  GNU Emacs comes with an octave-mode out of the box.

>    That was an example, fortunately I am not forced to use MS Windows. I am
>    forced, however, in my university to use Matlab for my lectures and
>    interactions with the students. That is *not* negotiable, although I did
>    not try to bring it to the courts.

> Experience tells me, at least, otherwise.  Here is a great article
> which might give you some inspiration:
> https://www.gnu.org/education/how-i-fought-to-graduate-without-using-non-free-software.html

Interesting but, well that seems to be a single case. Truth being told
it is the student who is asking for using free software, that is an
entirely different issue.
A student indeed has more «power» in this regard than the professor[1],
but I have seen very little initiative from the student side on this
issue. I would rather welcome this.
Some students a year ago expressed their desire to switch to use python
instead of matlab (given the different versions of python and its
incompatibilities I am bit sceptical about this idea, I'd rather prefer octave)

However truth being told, there are subjects, especially for higher
degrees such as a master, that are different to treat with octave, at
least the last time I checked, as far as I know there is no equivalent
to Simulink in octave, which might come hand for, example, control
theory

Footnotes:
[1]  even «Spain is different»