Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and org-mode)?
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 11:04:20 +0100

>>> "PL" == Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> It gives the users of the proprietary system a taste of free software.
> To quote part of the Emacs manual:

>    We support GNU Emacs on proprietary operating systems because we hope
>    this taste of freedom will inspire users to escape from them.

>> For example if I am forced to run MS Office, then I would chose MacOS
>> because I can, via fink, macports and homebrew, I can run GNU software,
>> while that is a lot harder in MS Windows.

> MS Office, MS Windows and macOS are all proprietary software.  The goal
> is to eradicate them, not to make it more convenient for people to use
> them.

I know, and I do share your goals, however the real world is different.
As I can personally testify, it is all about document format, if a free
software cannot read and write 100% accurate a document in the infamous
docx format, then it will not be used in a lot of environments (official
commercial etc).

> But my main concern is whether or not it works with Octave, which
> directly concerns me (as a user of Octave).  It would certainly be
> disappointing if Emacs supported Matlab better than Octave, and it would
> also be harmful to the GNU project.

I am not sure what better here means, for example debugging would work
better with matlab then with octave? I presume it will be the other way
around since mathworks sometimes changes internals without, ahm a well
extended documentation.

Syntax highlighting might be another issue, but what could be easily
resolved I guess.