Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:06:45 +0100

The one remaining problem I have now is with the mode line -- the
display handlers aren't called in all circumstances, and I don't quite
understand why.

With this:

(defvar mode-line-position
  `((:propertize
     (" " mode-line-percent-position)
     display (min-width (6.0))

handle_display_prop is called (via next_element_from_string) as you'd
expect, and everything works fine.  However, if you just have:

(defvar mode-line-position
  `((:propertize
     mode-line-percent-position
     display (min-width (6.0))

handle_display_prop is never called.  I don't quite understand the
calling sequence -- I've been trying to trace it via gdb for half an
hour now, and I'm not able to pin-point the exact code flow here (it's
via some indirection that I'm not sure about).  Do you have any tips
about where I should be looking?