Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 13:12:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The padding of a string should not depend on whether there's another
> string after it.  The padding is a display feature: if some Lisp puts
> the property on a string, that string should look the same, with the
> same padding, regardless of where on the screen it is located, and
> regardless of whether there's some text after it.

It does look the same, I think?  That is, nothingness that comes from a
stretch looks like the same like the nothingness that was there before.

(But you can tell the difference in buffers if you put the point after
it.)

>> (If we want to extend the face over the stretch, then this has to be
>> done differently.)
>
> Which face?  This feature is not about faces, it is about padding text
> so that it takes at least X pixels on display.

If there's a face with a background (or the like), you can see the
difference between a stretch and no stretch -- you can't otherwise.