Re: Tick Reduction

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:54:49 -0800

> On Nov 26, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:03:57 -0800
>> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,
>> emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>> stefankangas@gmail.com,
>> dgutov@yandex.ru
>>

>>> This still works for me with the current master.  Did you forget to
>>> turn off font-lock-mode, per chance?  When font-lock-mode is ON, you
>>> cannot usefully add any 'face' properties to the text; you need to use
>>> 'font-lock-face' instead.
>>
>> Strange. I pulled the latest master and tried again and the problem
>> persists. I’m sure font-lock-mode is disabled. (And I used emacs -Q, of
>> course.) The code snippet doesn’t have any problem, it works in an earlier
>> Emacs. Maybe I’m missing some dumb things, but I don’t know what they are.
>
> Maybe try to describe step by step what exactly did you do.  For
> example, font-lock-mode is turned ON by default, so if you turned it
> OFF, at least one step is missing.  What else is missing?

What does the following produce for you?

(progn
  (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "test"))
  (font-lock-mode -1)
  (insert (propertize "-" 'display '(space :width text)
                      'face '(:strike-through t))))

Here it works (produces a line) on an older Emacs (a couple month ago) but not
on the latest master.

Yuan