Re: sqlite3

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 21:29:00 -0800

> I think many user experience things in Emacs would be better if Emacs
> remembered more.
>
> The bigger systems don't have this problem -- Gnus needs a large
> .newsrc.eld file, and it maintains that.

A plea from the heart: Gnus also needs a better data store, and sqlite3
is the answer to that need. The .newsrc.eld format is not okay.

Emacs *needs* to ship with default database support, and that database
should be sqlite3. Everything talks to sqlite, and Emacs should, too.

I don't have many opinions about Emacs' direction of development, and I
rarely shout about anything, but please: csv and sqlite need to be built
in. We should be able to rely on them. Please make them part of the
distribution.