Re: sqlite3

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 12:56:57 -0800

>> Well, Lars is the Gnus maintainer, not me, so all I can do is propose!
>> But yes I am, though only for group marks. Right now .newsrc.eld
>> combines concerns: it saves variables such as `gnus-server-alist' and
>> all the topic stuff that would be better saved as customization options
>> (or saved in a separate file, using the customization machinery). It
>> also saves group parameters, right next to the marks.
>
> It's a bit much, but I don't think those bits can be usefully separated
> out.  But things like `gnus-save-duplicate-list' (which goes to a
> separate, ad-hoc file) would fit well as a simple persistent variable.

If `gnus-newsrc-alist' were saved as-is, but *without* the mark data,
that mark data could be pulled out of a separate storage backend at
startup time, with a simple group-name->mark-data mapping. The
.newsrc.eld file could otherwise remain the same.

But Qiantan's message reminded me that this proposal is actually a Gnus
issue, not a sqlite issue, and shouldn't clog up this thread. I'll keep
this for later!