Re: sqlite3

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 18:16:23 +0000

> YUCK!!
>
> That would break 45 years of Emacs tradition and practice.  In Emacs,
> data are stored as PLAIN TEXT.  Even .elc files are pretty much plain
> text.
Or the way I’d like to put it, data are stored as S-EXP.
> That is, text that you can examine with standard tools, such as grep,
> awk, perl, less, ...., and C-s and friends within Emacs.
So you can read, eval, print them, edit them structurally, and
look at the beautiful and highly readable parentheses.
I found myself read C 20 times slower than Lisp, not mentioning
hexademicals!

> Emacs has that already.  It's called an alist.  It becomes persistent
> when you print it to a file, not a challenging project.
Same thoughts. But jokes aside, they do have a valid point,
which is reading/printing a big alist can get slow.
I totally don’t see the need to introduce database to
solve this problem though. I hereby call for a plain Elisp
implementation of a log-structured object(or, CONSes) store.

Best,
Qiantan