Re: sqlite3

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 11:33:57 +0300

> I think many user experience things in Emacs would be better if Emacs
> remembered more.
>
> The bigger systems don't have this problem -- Gnus needs a large
> .newsrc.eld file, and it maintains that.
>
> The tiny things don't really have this problem, either: You save options
> with `customize-save-variable', and that fine.
>
> It's the many things that fall between these two extremes that have the
> problem: Where you want to store some state, but figuring it's just too
> much work to figure out Yet Another Storage Format, but the data is too
> messy to stash in somebody's .emacs file via Customize (like lists of
> stuff).
>
> So there's a bunch of stuff that Emacs just forgets when you shut down,
> where it perhaps shouldn't.

Sure thing.

> I've brought this up before, but I didn't really have a solution then,
> but I think I do now: sqlite3.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep my configuration/state files in plain
text, editable by Emacs.

Would it be feasible to have common state save/restore interface for
Emacs progrms/packages to use, and then configurable back-end to handle
actual persistence, being sqlite3, dbm, plain (elisp) text, and what
not?

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov