Re: Emacs pretest 28.0.90 is out

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 28.0.90 is out
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 15:40:04 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 21:18:22 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Results in "This program is too large to fit in memory."
>
> > Is this on Windows XP or on plain DOS?
>
> This is Windows XP.
>
> > What does go32-v2.exe say if invoked with no arguments?
>
> It prints the following text:
>
> go32/v2 version 2.0 built Oct 18 2015 09:41:08
> Usage: go32 coff-image [args]
> Rename this to go32.exe only if you need a go32 that can run v2 binaries as
>  well as v1 binaries (old makefiles).  Put ahead of the old go32 in your PATH
>  but do not delete your old go32 - leave it in the PATH after this one.
> Set GO32_V2_DEBUG=y in the environment to get verbose output.
>
> DPMI memory available: 664200 Kb
> DPMI swap space available: 0 Kb

That's 660MB.  A bit low (I get 1.5GB here), but should be enough to
start.

How do you run Windows XP? is that natively, or do you run it in some
VM on GNU/Linux?  If the latter, does that VM have any settings
regarding DPMI and/or memory?

Also, does the below also fail?

  C:\DJGPP\src\emacs-28.0.90\src> set TERM=internal
  C:\DJGPP\src\emacs-28.0.90\src> temacs -Q

And what's the layout of the Command Prompt window from which you
invoke temacs? how many lines by how many columns?

And finally, did you try to close the Command Prompt (thus killing
NTVDM), and then starting temacs from a fresh Command Prompt window?
IME, many failed attempts to build MS-DOS Emacs sometimes cause NTVDM
to be in some strange state, where stuff fails for no good reason, and
restarting NTVDM makes those problems go away.