Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 17:58:46 +0100

Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

> On 12/17/2021 7:48 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>> On 18.12.2021 01:01, Ken Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Native compilation is disabled by default.  People who build emacs
>>> for their own use and choose to try native compilation can see the
>>> consequences and make their own decision on how to deal with them.
>> I agree that as long as we don't intend for it to be on by default,
>> the warnings are fine to show.
>>
>>> Similar remarks apply to people who build emacs as maintainers for
>>> a distro.  If they choose to build with native compilation and
>>> impose that decision on their users, they can also choose for their
>>> users the default value of
>>> native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors.
>> This, however, seems like a bad idea.
>> The distros don't control, nor are responsible for, the whole
>> third-party package ecosystem.
>
> Right, which is why distros might well choose to disable warnings.  My
> point is that it's their decision, given that they've already decided
> to build with native compilation, not something that Emacs has to
> worry about.

IIUC you are saying "that's what they deserve for using native-comp".

Well, building with native-comp enabled is a build configuration
supported by Emacs, changing the default value of
native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors requires patching Emacs or
providing a "vendor" configuration file.

Those are changes at a very different level.