Re: Motif support

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:18:16 +0100 (CET)

Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02040.html
From:   Eli Zaretskii
Date:   Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:37:03 +0200

> And then we have display of images, which again uses platform-dependent
> GUI API calls, mouse and keyboard inputs and WM events that are
> accessed using platform-dependent GUI API calls, etc.

They are platform calls, a GUI toolkit need not be a middleman. Our GUI
elements here can be thought of as one of those images, as an example.
We simply tell system's window/frame to display it, like BitBlt or
StretchDIBits fron Win32 API.  Same for input.

> Of course, we do.  Displaying text in a GUI window (a.k.a. "frame")
> requires Xlib calls on X, Win32 API calls on MS-Windows, etc.  And the
> fonts available on each platform OOTB are generally different.

These are also simply platform layer calls right?  There's no widget toolkit
involved.  If a platform does not provide text rendering, we could use
something like FreeType, which is what Xft uses I presume?