Re: Motif support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 21:51:13 +0200

> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:45:07 +0100 (CET)
> From: xenodasein@tutanota.de
> Cc: Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > Experience tells us that users on every platforms generally want Emacs
> > to look and feel like other GUI programs on that platform.
>
> I feels like this contradicts VSCode's popularity, which has it's unique
> look?  Why shouldn't Emacs have a signature keewl look?

If this is true (I don't use VSCode, so I don't know), then perhaps
because VSCode users and Emacs users have different expectations?

> Yes, that is exactly what I meant all along by saying "a simple
> software renderer".  It really isn't that hard to draw a 2D GUI, no
> need to reinvent all graphics, only a miniscule part. Text rendering
> is the hard part, which we delegate. We draw the menus how we want them
> to look, then tell the platform to display them.

I very much doubt this will produce anything useful, let alone why
would we want yet another "toolkit".  But feel free to prove me wrong
by showing code that does this.