Re: Motif support

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:35:36 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> I think I have expressed myself badly here; anyway what I meant, Emacs
>> could use pango and harfbuzz and whatever else it uses on X together
>> with freetype2 to render text on all platforms.
>
> We don't use Pango on X for anything more than converting the output of
> the GTK font selection dialog to a font spec.
>
> HarfBuzz is already used on MS-Windows, and the idea is to eventually
> use it on macOS as well.
>
> As for using FreeType, what benefit would it bring?  Rendering text with
The benefit of using unified platform and not needing to use os built-ins?
This discussion started with someone wanted Emacs to do it's own drawing since
Emacs GUI is relatively simple and does not require full-fledged GUI
toolkit. Freetype would be one tool to achieve this.

>                                                      Rendering text with
> FreeType is not very easy and involves writing a lot of interface code
> for each platform, often more than using the platform's built-in
> interface.  (For simple examples, see the deleted ftx driver, or the
I dont understand what different interfaces are with freetype you are talking
about nor what is difficult with freetype? Freetype gives you platform
independent interface to read, parse and render fonts files to bitmaps. You can
also do your own rendering if you want. Lots of platform independent
applications use Freetype to render fonts.

> It usually involves Fontconfig as well, which doesn't work very well
> non-Unix systems.

Freetype does not need fontconfig. I don't understand why bring fontconfig
here. Fontcnfig uses freetype to read and parse font files, but freetype does
not need fontconfig.

Anyway, I find this discusion with you immature. You are sitting here and trying
to find anything opposite for the sake of sake of saying opposite. Sorry, all
best to you, I wish you Merry Christmass and all best, but I am out.