Re: master 501e2096d6: Fix some issues with a recent change

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 501e2096d6: Fix some issues with a recent change
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:27:09 -0500

> Once again, personal workflows should not affect our coding
> conventions.

AFAIK the conventions are designed to help the various workflows out
there.  Some parts of the convention will only be useful for some of
those workflows, of course.  We do have a convention about the first
line being a kind of summary, even though you seem not to care about
that convention.

Why do we bother with such a first-line-convention if it doesn't even
give any indication whatsoever about which part of the codebase
is modified?

A summary should say something non-trivial about the change.
"Fix some issues with a recent change" does say something, indeed.
AFAICT it gives the following info:
- it's related to something "recent".
- it fixes something rather than adding a new feature.
That's still very vague in my book.

I don't care if the first line lists specific files (the space
constraints are obviously much too severe to impose such a requirement),
but it should give some vague idea about which part of the codebase
is affected.

        Stefan