Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 20:58:55 +0800

> Sorry if I wasn't clear: this is just a patch for now.
> I didn't yet push it.

Got it. I misunderstood the meaning of "how is this?" (treating it as if
you pointed to an already existing change).

> +Some packages are so-called "core" packages.  The GNU ELPA scripts
> +will pick them up from the Emacs master branch and release them as
> +packages periodically; a new version is packaged when their "Version"
> +comment header is updated.  Normally a new package is released within
> +24 hours after bumping the version on the Emacs master branch.  An
> +examples is lisp/progmodes/python.el, which is released as the "python"
> +package at: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/python.html

Still sounds confusing. Ideally, I would like to see a separate heading,
immediately visible by contributors. Something like "Releasing updates
in Emacs core ahead of next Emacs version", but probably more succinct.

> +Some packages are so-called "core" packages.

Maybe, "GNU ELPA is also used to distribute latest changes in built-in
packages ahead of the next Emacs release."

---

Not directly related to you patch, but rather to the existing text:

>> This repository does _not_ contain the Emacs Lisp package archive
>> (elpa.gnu.org).

This is totally confusing. GNU ELPA does not contain packages? tarballs?
What does it contain?

Best,
Ihor