Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:34:18 +0100

Aiko Kyle <aikokyle@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 10:07 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Do we have to necessarily use off-screen rendering? Are you referring
>> > to some problem with the scenario as in the attached pic? Can you
>> > elaborate?
>>
>> Yes, a single xwidget has to look and behave identically in every window
>> it is attached to.
>>

> You mean technically it has to given the way its implemented? There
> isn't some other reason why an xwidget has to behave this way?

It kind of has to, in order to preserve the way emacs behaves.
That is multiple views of the same buffer, and so on.

In the original xwidget branch there were some alternative behaviours
implemented as proof of concepts, and they worked to some degree, but
breaks the emacs paradigm, so they arent really all that useful IMHO.

There might also be some kind of experiment involving redirection of an
applications main window to an offscreen widget, that might be useful
for xwidget, but I'm not entirely sure.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se