Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs

From: Aiko Kyle
Subject: Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:39:22 -0700

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 1:08 PM <joakim@verona.se> wrote:

> This was one of the methods that was evaluated in the original branch,
> that is, every emacs window got its own separate gtk component.
>
> So, if the xwidget was a gtk button, for example, inserted in a buffer,
> and there were several emacs window showing the same area, each emacs
> window would get a separate gtk button representing the same xwidget.
> This worked okay-ish, for buttons. But for sliders it didnt turn out so
> well, because one needed special glue code to make each separate gtk
> slider be in sync with every other instance. It's doable, but
> convoluted. Anyway, I'm sure theres been plenty of progress since the
> original experiments, so maybe today it's less convoluted.

When I was playing around with this last year I encountered similar
issues with "stateful" gtk widgets. Since I primarily cared about the
webkit widget, and since that's still the only really implemented
widget, I found that forcing there to only ever be one emacs window
displaying it was the best compromise between technical limitations
and what I think of as "the emacs paradigm" for displaying such
content. Although Po seems to disagree with me on that point, hence
his pushing forward with the offscreen rendering technique, although
there are still various bugs to be resolved in that implementation.