Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs

From: Aiko Kyle
Subject: Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:08:08 -0700

Hi Joakim!

Po and I were previously discussing this in the context of the webkit
xwidget on this thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg01914.html

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 6:34 AM <joakim@verona.se> wrote:

> It kind of has to, in order to preserve the way emacs behaves.
> That is multiple views of the same buffer, and so on.
>
> In the original xwidget branch there were some alternative behaviours
> implemented as proof of concepts, and they worked to some degree, but
> breaks the emacs paradigm, so they arent really all that useful IMHO.

I think that the question of how well an xwidget obeys "the emacs
paradigm" depends on the content it's displaying. If it were a button
or some other element in a larger button, I agree that the current
model fits the emacs way well enough. However I think when the xwidget
is the only element in a buffer and takes up a large portion or even
the whole window, then I think the correct paradigm would resemble
something like doc-view, where the two widow's xwidgets can show
different views if they have some notion of scrolling.

> There might also be some kind of experiment involving redirection of an
> applications main window to an offscreen widget, that might be useful
> for xwidget, but I'm not entirely sure.

This is the current implementation that Po Lu has fixed various
flickering bugs on master for xwidgets on x. However both the xwidgets
on ns and my emacs module emacs-webkit, handles this in a different
way where the webkitview can only be displayed in one window.