Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 16:22:02 -0600

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 4:04 PM Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> wrote:

> If I remember correctly, this is because the msys dependency tree is
> not totally reliable.

I noticed :P

Locally I've been investigating by comparing results from several
different sources including ProcessExplorer, ldd, ntldd and cygcheck.
(To get recursive checking with ldd I wrote a rather ugly Perl
script.)  Then I'm looking at the documentation from MSYS website
(one-by-one by hand) to figure out which ones are optional.

> TLS should work if at all possible. The tests that I have for a
> functional windows Emacs (in etc/w32-feature.el) are better than nothing
> but don't test whether emacs is working just whether it thinks that it
> should be.

ACK, and thanks for the nudge on using etc/w32-feature.el to test the
installed versions.

FTR, as I hack on the scripts I've been testing locally running both
scripts then by opening Emacs from the
~/emacs-build/install/emacs-28.0.91/bin folder and then "doing suff".
For example opening a PNG.  Then I check (with ProcessExplorer) that
Emacs is loading (e.g.) libpng16-16.dll from the Emacs bin folder (and
not from the msys bin or some other place).