Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 10:05:16 +0000

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 4:04 PM Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> If I remember correctly, this is because the msys dependency tree is
>> not totally reliable.
>
> I noticed :P
>
> Locally I've been investigating by comparing results from several
> different sources including ProcessExplorer, ldd, ntldd and cygcheck.
> (To get recursive checking with ldd I wrote a rather ugly Perl
> script.)  Then I'm looking at the documentation from MSYS website
> (one-by-one by hand) to figure out which ones are optional.

I was clearly keen to get something reasonable automatic as the list may
change over time. Although, as I always used the same dependencies for
an entire main release of Emacs, having something manual would be possible.

>> TLS should work if at all possible. The tests that I have for a
>> functional windows Emacs (in etc/w32-feature.el) are better than nothing
>> but don't test whether emacs is working just whether it thinks that it
>> should be.
>>

> ACK, and thanks for the nudge on using etc/w32-feature.el to test the
> installed versions.

I used to set up the .emacs on my build machine to automatically run
w32-feature.el on start up which was a great time saver!

> FTR, as I hack on the scripts I've been testing locally running both
> scripts then by opening Emacs from the
> ~/emacs-build/install/emacs-28.0.91/bin folder and then "doing suff".
> For example opening a PNG.  Then I check (with ProcessExplorer) that
> Emacs is loading (e.g.) libpng16-16.dll from the Emacs bin folder (and
> not from the msys bin or some other place).

Indeed; it would be good to get a bit more of this kind of thing into
w32-feature.

Phil