Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 11:38:21 +0000

Hello, Lars.

On Sat, Feb 05, 2022 at 22:31:12 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

[ .... ]

> But this reminds me of something I meant to ask, but forgot: Would it
> make sense to introduce a configuration option to en/disable the SWP
> stuff?  Probably not as a long term thing, but it would make
> benchmarking things a lot easier if we could en/disable it on the
> current trunk simply.

By doing something like calling read rather than read-positioning-symbols
from the byte compiler, and putting conditional compilation into
lisp_h_EQ, etc., in src/lisp.h?  This would leave the compiler not fully
functional, of course.  It might work.

I get the feeling it's one of those things which sounds simple, but there
might be unforeseen problems waiting.  One of those problems might be the
option somehow surviving long beyond its intended lifetime, with pressure
to maintain it coming from somewhere.

I would more favour the slightly more laborious strategy: benchmark on
the master branch in two repositories, one just before the big merge, the
other just after.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).