Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 07:08:16 +0100

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> I attach the detailed results for each of the 389 tests.  Each test
> has been executed 2000 (two thousand) times, again on an unloaded
> up-to-date Debian bookworm computer.

[...]

> If you remove that test from the calculations, you will see that the
> slowdown is actually 17%, that is, the same slowdown as that of byte
> compilation.

Thanks, that's interesting, but it doesn't really answer the question of
why it's so hard to see these performance regressions in actual use.  I
tried to benchmark Alan's patches before they went in by doing things
like measuring shr DOM rendering, and saw essentially no measurable
difference.  And 17% vs "essentially nothing" is a big gap.

So it's still not clear what's being measured.  Is ert doing something
that's triggering these slowdowns?  Is it only measurable in "emacs
-batch"?  Is there something else that makes the test suites so much
slower while we're not seeing that in real usage?