Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:03:35 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 19:02:22 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 16:42:07 +0000
> > Cc: gregory@heytings.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, mattiase@acm.org,
> >   larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > I haven't got any useful information out of the exercise, so far.  I
> > can't help feeling that I'm missing something.  Is there anything I ought
> > to be doing that I've not yet done?

> Maybe you should make EQ real function, with an attribute that would
> preclude its inlining.

That's an excellent idea!  Thanks!  I managed to get that working.

I reconfigured old and new without native compilation (in which it would
be more work to de-inline EQ) and rebuilt them.  I ran make check on
each of them to have as many .elc files built as possible.  On running

    $ perf record -e cpu-clock make check
    $ mv perf.data <name>
    $ perf report -i <name> --tui

I found EQ taking 1.48% on the old build and 0.84% on the new build.
Yes, I haven't got them the wrong way round.  I saw the same on two
consecutive runs for both builds, and the number of samples involved
(several thousand) was enough to eliminate random wrongness.

I don't understand what I'm seeing.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).