Re: sqlite3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 23:31:28 -0500

  > > The crucial difference between text files and sqlite3 databases,
  > > unless I'm mistaken about the latter, is that text files are simple
  > > and transparent, but sqlite3 databases are not.

  > To see a text file on Unix-like system, one needs at least `cat'
  > command, or `less', `more' and similar, and better is to have text
  > editor. One could click on desktop system and open such file.

THat is true, but I think we're not talking about the same question.
I'm not talking abut the question of whether there is a command to
view the format, or whether the sqlite3 files have a documented
format.

I am talking about the kind of format that the file contains,
and the implications of that format.

Decades of experiences have taught me that files with internal pointers
are more likely to get badly corrupt that sequences of characters.
Also, when part of a character-sequence file gets corrupt,
the rest of it is usually still valid data and usable.
The pointer-based file tends to become totally incomprehensible.