Re: Windows binaries for emacs-28 status and TODOs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows binaries for emacs-28 status and TODOs
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:30:24 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: corwin@bru.st,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 10:50:03 +0100
>
> > They should have emacsclient, not Emacs.
>
> Yes, I agree.
>
> But then, the user has to know about emacsclient(w) AND how to set up
> the server beforehand.

No, the user should be able to select emacsclient, and the installer
should produce the actual command using that.  Just like with the
other editors they offer.

> I believe it should also work for emacs.exe (which it is) and
> runemacs.exe (which is not working, please see the attached image).

Why is that a good idea?

> Or, even better, suggesting a command line option for emacsclient(w)
> in case the server is not running.

That's what I had in mind.  (And no, emacsclientw is NOT the right
choice here, since Git is a console executable.)

> (Unfortunately I couldn't get emacsclient to
> run with a command line option, probably a bug in the Git installer.:-/)

Which seems to indicate that integrating emacsclient into Git is not
as simple as its maintainer thinks.