Re: [NonGNU] New package: ctrlf and Questions

From: Jai Flack
Subject: Re: [NonGNU] New package: ctrlf and Questions
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 20:36:50 +1000

Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 at 19:40, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
>
>> Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> FWIW, a similar package already exists on ELPA:
>>>
>>>     https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/isearch-mb.html
>>>
>>> The main difference to Ctrlf being that isearch-mb integrates with
>>> isearch instead of reinventing it (and therefore is much smaller than
>>> Ctrlf).

Thanks for pointing me to isearch-mb.

>> Is there any advantage that Ctrlf has over isearch-mb?  If not, I don't
>> see why the more complex package is needed at all?

It's nice how ctrlf presents the count at the end of the matching line
(not just in the minibuffer) but apart from that they seem to have the
same feature set.

> I'm not aware of any advantages (otherwise I could extend isearch-mb or,
> more likely, isearch itself).  OTOH there is nothing wrong with
> providing (a sensible number of) alternative implementations of the same
> idea; in fact, isearch-mb was inspired by Ctrlf.  So I don't have a
> strong opinion about this.

I no longer wish for ctrlf to be added but feel free to add it if
someone else wants it.

--
Thanks,
Jai