Re: [NonGNU] New package: ctrlf and Questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [NonGNU] New package: ctrlf and Questions
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 23:02:02 -0500

Augusto Stoffel [2022-02-26 12:02:37] wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 at 20:36, Jai Flack <jflack@disroot.org> wrote:
>> It's nice how ctrlf presents the count at the end of the matching line
>> (not just in the minibuffer) but apart from that they seem to have the
>> same feature set.
> This feature is unrelated to isearch-mb, which focuses narrowly on how
> the search string is read.  It's also probably too eccentric to include
> in isearch itself (but I don't know what others actually think).  And it
> seems a bit too small to become a package by itself.

If it's not for everyone, then it should arguably be provided under the
control of the config var, but that doesn't mean it should be in
a separate package or relegated to some ELisp snippets for people to
copy&paste into their init file.

Whether it better belongs alongside `isearch` or `isearch-mb` will
probably depend on details of how it's implemented.

        Stefan