RE: [External] : Re: zsh-like zcomplete-mode based on icomplete-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: zsh-like zcomplete-mode based on icomplete-mode
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:31:08 +0000

> I'm not sure if it is expected that with
> zcomplete-show-matches-on-no-input enabled,
> there are no *Completions* shown initially.
> For example with C-x C-f, it would be nice to
> immediately see the contents of the current directory.

I mentioned that (1) different users have different
preferences about this, and (2) it's possible to
have different preferences for different commands
(which is likely why you cited `C-x C-f').

Icicles provides user options for this, and it
lets commands provide appropriate default behavior.
E.g., a command that essentially uses *Completions*
as a menu can show that initially (and nevertheless
also be able to change that "menu" based on user
minibuffer input (pattern filtering).

There is no reasonable one-size-fits-all.  There
can be a reasonable default behavior.  There need
to be user knobs to control the behavior according
to preference - and preference not only in general
but even wrt particular commands and particular
contexts.