Re: zsh-like zcomplete-mode based on icomplete-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: zsh-like zcomplete-mode based on icomplete-mode
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:53:45 +0300

>> 1. never enable arrows, then use only special keys like
>>    in icomplete-mode C-./C-, but this is not quite convenient;
>
> This will be like not having the zcomplete-mode enabled right?

Right, when it's not enabled, then M-up and M-down will do the same.
BTW, now I added a new custom 'minibuffer-completion-auto-choose'
instead of two sets of commands for the default use.

>> 2. always enable arrows like in icomplete-vertical-mode,
>>    but this disables history navigation;
>>
>> 3. enable arrows only when the Completions window is displayed,
>>    this assumes that auto-refresh is disabled, otherwise
>>    the Completions window is displayed almost always.
>
> This is in my opinion the only real zsh like behavior. If completions
> are not visible, it does not make sense to enable arrow navigation.

Agreed.  However, there is a technical problem: when :filter returns nil,
then <up> in the minibuffer falls back to the global binding `previous-line'
instead of the minibuffer history command.  This needs debugging.

>>> There is a detail when completion-format is one-column and it is when
>>> using zcomplete-previous-line-completion, some candidates are not
>>> highlighted... when we go to the last candidate and return... It seems
>>> like the cursor goes at the end of the candidate where the face-cursor
>>> is not set.
>>
>> This looks like bug#54374.
>
> No, this only happens with the minibuffer navigation... with normal
> navigation in completions there is not issue for me.

Strange, I don't see this problem.