Re: zsh-like zcomplete-mode based on icomplete-mode

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: zsh-like zcomplete-mode based on icomplete-mode
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:45:39 +0200

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 10:16:10PM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:
Ok, now it works better... But this is not zsh completion anymore ;) The
dynamic table auto-refresh is nice for people who like icomplete/ido but
it is a different use case and after a while it starts becoming annoying
for quick uses... but this is a personal preference probably.

zsh does the same when configured with

 zstyle ':completion:*' menu select interactive

Yes we already mention that, but such behavior is not the default, wo
when we say zsh behavior, that's not usually what a zsh user expects.

So we should have a variable to enable/disable interactive auto-refresh.

On the other hand I cannot use the up and down arrows anymore for search
in the history with commands like previous-complete-history-element

Another variable could provide at least 3 choices:

1. never enable arrows, then use only special keys like
  in icomplete-mode C-./C-, but this is not quite convenient;

This will be like not having the zcomplete-mode enabled right?

2. always enable arrows like in icomplete-vertical-mode,
  but this disables history navigation;

3. enable arrows only when the Completions window is displayed,
  this assumes that auto-refresh is disabled, otherwise
  the Completions window is displayed almost always.

This is in my opinion the only real zsh like behavior. If completions
are not visible, it does not make sense to enable arrow navigation.

There is a detail when completion-format is one-column and it is when
using zcomplete-previous-line-completion, some candidates are not
highlighted... when we go to the last candidate and return... It seems
like the cursor goes at the end of the candidate where the face-cursor
is not set.

This looks like bug#54374.

No, this only happens with the minibuffer navigation... with normal
navigation in completions there is not issue for me.