etags name collision.

From: Ergus
Subject: etags name collision.
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:47:36 +0200

Hi:

Recently I made the already mentioned package gtags-mode in order to use
it with gnu global. Recently a friend using verilog found that gnu
global can use ctags (Universal Ctags) as a backend for verilog as
universal ctags has a set of plugins very complete and works specially
well with verilog.

But in my system there is an issue, because emacs also creates a ctags
executable with similar function but not as good as Universal ctags in
many sences. The questions are:

1) Why do we have etags+ctags executables so far they do more or less
the same work right?.

2) Why do we create an executable with a name that is used by another
very wheel known program.

3) Could we consider to keep only etags and remove the ctags file in
order to let the users to access. GREP had a similar issue some time ago
with egrep rgrep and similes; and they solved that adding command lines
to grep; why not to do the same?

In general when the users want to use ctags I am pretty sure they refer
to universal or exuberant ctags today... But also such executable create
inconsistencies when using TRAMP and the support for languages like Rust
or modern C++ is not good; so maybe an even more radical approach may be
considered. Some distros like Arch Linux explicitly rename it to solve
the conflict, but if we have etags already, do we really need the other
executable?

Best,
Ergus