Re: PGTK-related misconceptions

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: PGTK-related misconceptions
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 12:49:49 -0700

On 4/17/2022 10:57 PM, Po Lu wrote:
Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

It recommends it /for/ using alternative window systems, not /only for/
using alternative window systems, so far as I can tell.  For example

     With the PGTK build, you will be able to switch between running
     Emacs on X, Wayland and Broadway using the 'GDK_BACKEND' environment
     variable.

really makes it sound like it's find to use it if you're using only X.

I don't see a difference between "for" and "only for" in this case,
because above the section talking about PGTK (and also in the details
below) is a large amount of commentary discussing the regular X build.

Reading through these sections of INSTALL, I found it very easy to assume that PGTK was a direct upgrade that would just let me "switch between running Emacs on X, Wayland and Broadway". An extremely-careful reader might then wonder why "--with-pgtk" isn't enabled by default on systems with the necessary dependencies, but that only *implies* that there are downsides to PGTK rather than stating it.

I think it would be best to state explicitly that there are problems with the PGTK build, though INSTALL probably doesn't need to go into any more detail than that. In practice, a lot of people will probably just skim the documentation, so they might miss some of the more subtle points unless they're very clearly called out.