Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs

From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh
Subject: Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:56:56 +0530

The regexp in 'numerals' will match only a single character, so just
one character after number-sign will be composed.  if you want to
compose several ones, you need to say this instead:

      (numerals "[\x966-\x96F]+"))

It is working fine now, Thank You!

 Do they have any glyphs in the font?  Did you try to use
font-get-glyphs to see if the font can display those characters when
they are alone?

I am an extreme novice, so please bear with me, but I cannot get the function to work. I tried to enter the following as the argument FONT OBJECT but none worked:
#<font-object "-GOOG-Noto Sans Kaithi-regular-normal-normal-*-23-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1">
"-GOOG-Noto Sans Kaithi-regular-normal-normal-*-23-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1"
"#<font-object -GOOG-Noto Sans Kaithi-regular-normal-normal-*-23-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1>"
"Noto Sans Kaithi"
"/usr/share/fonts/noto/NotoSansKaithi-Regular.ttf"

Though they do appear alone in Firefox and LibreOffice Writer.

That's what your composition rules already do: they are only triggered
when the character preceding the numerals is a number sign.  So I
don't think I understand the problem.

I want the font of devanagari and kaithi to be different, but since kaithi uses devanagari numerals and a devanagari font other than Noto Sans Kaithi does not render the number signs, I was asking that is it possible to only change the devanagari font to Noto Sans Kaithi if it is around a number sign.
Though this is a very specific problem of no significance, so it is fine if you don't answer. I will not even use the number signs very much.

When you put the cursor at the number sign character, don't you see a
thin 1-pixel space there?

Yes, when the character is not visible in Emacs and whenI put the cursor in its place there is a thin 1-pixel space there.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 5:48 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh <lumarzeli30@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:47:22 +0530
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> They seem to be working after changing the devanagari font to Noto Sans Kaithi but only for one digit
> though

But that's what the rule you wrote says:

      (numerals "[\x966-\x96F]"))
  [...]
  (set-char-table-range composition-function-table
                        '(#x110BD . #x110BD)
                        (list (vector
                               (concat number-sign numerals)
                               0 'font-shape-gstring)))