Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?

From: Case Duckworth
Subject: Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 13:31:07 -0500

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

>> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
>> Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 13:06:47 +0800
>>
>> Disclaimer, IANAL.
>
> Thank you for the feedback!  Yes, I am the sole author.  I devised the
> colour palette from scratch and occasionally make minor tweaks to it.

Let me repeat Po Lu's warning of IANAL, but from a cursory search online
it appears that color schemes themselves can't be copyrighted, at least
under some legal environments (I'm in America, so I'm assuming my
searches are returning results at least semi-pertinent to American law).

You /can/ copyright images that use certain colors, but not the actual
pallette or distribution of colors themselves.  I would assume it's like
how recipes are non-copywriteable (hence the long digressions into the
author's personal life preceding all recipes found online).

I only checked [1] and [2] before sending this email, so you might want
to consult with a lawyer in your jurisdiction.

[1]:
https://www.colormatters.com/color-and-marketing/color-branding-legal-rights
[2]: https://www.colourlovers.com/faq/18/How_can_you_copyright_a_color_palette

--