Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 09:32:28 -0400

> In this case, "just their colors" means to publish a page on my website
> like protesilaos.com/modus-themes-colors that contains a table like the
> following and which states it is distributed under CC0:
>
> | name              | value   |
> |-------------------+---------|
> | bg-main           | #ffffff |
> | fg-main           | #000000 |
> | red               | #a60000 |
> | magenta-alt-other | #5317ac |
>
> [ All values will be taken from the variables
>   modus-themes-operandi-colors, modus-themes-vivendi-colors. ]

Yes, you can definitely do that without any worries.
[ As mentioned by someone else, it's not even clear if copyright can
  apply to this anyway, but feel free to declare it as covered by CC0,
  just in case.
  More specifically, I suspect copyright can apply to the specific
  text/format/ordering you use in the above file, but not to the
  conceptual associations between the concept of main background color
  and the color "#ffffff", etc...
  AFAIU Copyright does not apply to ideas, only to their concrete
  expression.
  IOW You can also put such a table in the ELisp files and I think the
  law would allow people to use the underlying design regardless of the
  license we use for the file.  ]

        Stefan