Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:32:50 +0200

> Sent: Monday, May 09, 2022 at 6:39 PM
> From: "Protesilaos Stavrou" <info@protesilaos.com>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "emacs-devel" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?
>
> > From: Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com>
> > Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 11:55:14 +0200
> >
> >> * Is it possible to keep the modus-themes under the GPL but also
> >>   dedicate its colours to the public domain?
> >
> > Release modus-themes including its dedicate colours under GPLv3+, or
> > do something better by releasing under AGPLv3+.  Then release the colours
> > separately under a free software license.   If you want to use Creative
> > Commons, use only CC0.
>
> Thank you!  The modus-themes are already GPLv3+ licensed and copyright
> is assigned to the FSF.
>
> My understanding is that I can distribute their colours---just the
> colours---under Creative Commons CC0 (I am their sole author).  My
> concern was whether there could be complications for Emacs, since the
> modus-themes are a part of it.  What I have gathered thus far is that
> such an arrangement should not be a problem.

There will be no complications.

> I will seek to confirm this conclusion and act accordingly.  Again, my
> priority is Emacs: I will not jeopardise it.

You can release with any number of licences you want.  If emacs want them
GPL Compatible, then release them for the emacs maintainers as GPL Compatible.

I discourage mixing licenses when releasing for Gnu.  You can then release
the colours any other ways you want.  As the author, no rules apply to you
with regards to how you can use them or release them, unless forced on you
by some license of somebody else.