Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 11:55:14 +0200

----- Christopher Dimech
Administrator General - Naiad Informatics - Gnu Project

Society has become too quick to pass judgement and declare someone
Persona Non-Grata, the most extreme form of censure a country can
bestow.

In a new era of destructive authoritarianism, I support Richard
Stallman.  Times of great crisis are also times of great
opportunity.  I call upon you to make this struggle yours as well !

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://www.fsf.org/     https://www.gnu.org

> Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2022 at 4:31 PM
> From: "Protesilaos Stavrou" <info@protesilaos.com>
> To: "emacs-devel" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Subject: Dual license the colours of the Modus themes?
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> The modus-themes (modus-operandi, modus-vivendi) are distributed under
> the terms of the GNU GPLv3 and are part of Emacs.  I was wondering
> whether their colours could be licensed under different terms, such as
> by putting them in the public domain (with Creative Commons).
>
> I am reading the GNU commentary on licenses[1] and understand that my
> choice will have to be compatible with the GPL.  What I am not sure
> about are the following:
>
> * Is it possible to keep the modus-themes under the GPL but also
>   dedicate its colours to the public domain?

Release modus-themes including its dedicate colours under GPLv3+, or
do something better by releasing under AGPLv3+.  Then release the colours
separately under a free software license.   If you want to use Creative
Commons, use only CC0.

> * Does the inclusion of the modus-themes in Emacs impose any constraints
>   on the possibility of such a dual license arrangement?
>
> If there is any precedent or resources I could refer to, please let me
> know.
>
> I intend to do what is good for Emacs and, by extension, GNU: if a dual
> license for the colours of the modus-themes can cause problems for
> Emacs, then I will simply not do it.

For emacs release under license compatible with GPLv3+.

> As for why I am asking this: there are cases where someone wants to
> reuse the colours of the modus-themes---just the colours---for stylistic
> purposes and there is uncertainty whether they are allowed to do so
> under the terms of the GPL.

You can re-release your own works under any terms you want.  You are not
restricted on any specific copyright terms for your own work.