Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 15:40:41 +0200

On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 10:49:15PM +1000, Tim Cross wrote:

> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

[...]

> > Is it for having some T&C where they basically say "we'll
> > kick you out whenever we think we want to"?
> >
> > I'm hard-pressed to come up with a friendlier interpretation.
> >

> Problem is, your looking for a rational reason. The reality is T&C are
> typically written by non-technical people (often lawyers) who don't
> really understand (Or care to understand) the finer points and
> implications.

...but who, working for Google, should have ready access to some who
do.

>                They work in broad brushstrokes and plan to adjust/change
> if there is enough stink. HOwever, in this case, the percentage of
> voerall users impacted is unlikely to even register a a blip o thier
> radar.
>
> Bootm line, we are being done in by bureaucracy and bad communication.

OK, you came up with a friendlier explanation. You seem to be
a friendlier person than me :-)

I still tend to not quite believe that. To me, this is an instance
of "any sufficiently advanced form of malice is indistinguishable
from stupidity" [1]. IOW, plausible deniability.

Cheers

[1] A CRISPR monster between Clarke's Third and Hanlon.