Re: Show the license of package in ELPA website.

From: Zhu Zihao
Subject: Re: Show the license of package in ELPA website.
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 13:01:33 +0800

> The packages on NonGNU ELPA may use another license but only if it's
> compatible with the GPLv3+.  IOW that should be distributable under the
> GPLv3+ license, and AFAIK it's the only thing users need to know.
>
> If they really want to know that the code is using a more permissive
> license, I think it's OK to leave it up to them to do the work to find
> out.  Since most ELisp code will necessarily have to be linked with the
> rest of Emacs to be useful, there are very few opportunities for users
> to take advantage of a more permissive license anyway.

I'm working on GNU Guix packaging. When I package the Elisp package on
NonGNU ELPA, it's better to respect the origin license of the package
rather than marking them all GPLv3.Providing the license of package can
help simplify the work of distribution maintainers.

For Guix, we have a package importer which import package from other
package hosting sites like ELPA automatically. And now the package
importer for ELPA cannot grab the license of package because NonGNU ELPA
doesn't provide them.
--
Retrieve my PGP public key:

  gpg --recv-keys D47A9C8B2AE3905B563D9135BE42B352A9F6821F

Zihao