Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 20:27:26 +0530 (IST)

*  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> <83pmkpxw15.fsf@gnu.org>
Wrote on Sat, 07 May 2022 17:22:14 +0300
>> Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 19:49:20 +0530 (IST)
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
>> *  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> <83h761zv0w.fsf@gnu.org>
>> Wrote on Sat, 07 May 2022 10:01:03 +0300
>> >
>> > Where are these rules documented?  I don't see them in the latest
>> > Unicode Standard 14.0.
>>
>> I have no idea.  I assumed the rulesfollow from (some defined) rules
>> for composition, but I stopped dealing with unicode for sanskrit (
>> vedic accents) back in 2002 when I saw the direction it was going in.
>
> It is strange that I seem to be unable to find such rules anywhere on
> the Internet, not just in the Unicode Standard text.

The Wikner I posted upthread mentions the tradition concisely in on
p.3/6 under (a)Rgveda:

http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/vedic/Vedic_accents_doc.pdf

   (a) R.gveda has udattaa unmarked the svarita (jatya or suddha) is
   marked with a vertical line above the syllable (e.g. XX), but the
   kampa is indicated by a numeral 1 following the vowel if it is
   short, or the numeral 3 if it is long, and in both cases there is a
   vertical line above the numeral and a horizontal line below it in
   the case of the long kampa vowel the syllable usually also has a
   horizontal line below it (e.g. XX ).

The canonical work (this version not searchable unfortunately)
https://archive.org/detauls/vedicgrammar00macduoft/vedicgrammar00macduoft
- pdf p.468, p.450 talks about the accents 1 and 3 numerals used in
this way.

I've seen a number of pdfs introducing vedic accents in the wild that
document this. Maybe I'll try to make a bibliography