Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 23:51:57 +0530 (IST)

*  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> <83h760udua.fsf@gnu.org>
Wrote on Sun, 08 May 2022 20:35:41 +0300
>> Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 22:55:53 +0530 (IST)
>> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
>>
>> I updated harfbuzz to 4.2.1 (and upgraded freetype after that) and the
>> output is byte-identical to the earlier version 3.0.0.  I'm not sure
>> what I'm missing.
>
> And I don't understand what problems you see.  I don't think you
> described them in enough detail.

I've explained it in the messages upthread with the
references. briefly Sameer exhibited this picture
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-04/png4ClBZc1zV4.png
in his first message on this thread
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-04/msg01297.html

The composition shows that the first character spans the numerals.

I tried to reproduce it. I showed my work in this message:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-05/msg00341.html
where I showed the shell command to invoke hb-view, and attached the
text file 12.txt and the output 12.png. (the png attachment is not
visible on lists.gnu.org - what happened?), message-id was
<20220507.221454.1080380889007217525.enometh@meer.net>

>> a few more notes to self: The Khaiti number signs also compose only
>> linearly in emacs
>
> What do you mean by "compose linearly"?

the 12.png file would have show the composition is "linear" in that
#x110bd and #x110bc glyphs do not span the following digits like in
the png url which Sameer posted.

>> and only when I use the same font for numerals, say:
>
> Emacs can only compose characters if all of the characters of a
> composable sequence are supported by the same font.  It is
> practically impossible to compose character glyphs from different
> fonts, so Emacs doesn't.  If that's what you see, then it's the
> intended behavior.

Yes, that is what I believe I'm seeing.

>> Likewise for the newly installed composition rules, I can only see
>> them with the Siddhanta font. All the other fonts that display
>> devanagari seem to show the thin empty vertical box to render the
>> stress accents.
>
> If those "other fonts" cause the characters in a sequence not to be
> supported by a single font, then again, this is the intended behavior.

Thanks