Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 20:35:41 +0300

> Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 22:55:53 +0530 (IST)
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
>
> I updated harfbuzz to 4.2.1 (and upgraded freetype after that) and the
> output is byte-identical to the earlier version 3.0.0.  I'm not sure
> what I'm missing.

And I don't understand what problems you see.  I don't think you
described them in enough detail.

> a few more notes to self: The Khaiti number signs also compose only
> linearly in emacs

What do you mean by "compose linearly"?

> and only when I use the same font for numerals, say:

Emacs can only compose characters if all of the characters of a
composable sequence are supported by the same font.  It is
practically impossible to compose character glyphs from different
fonts, so Emacs doesn't.  If that's what you see, then it's the
intended behavior.

> Likewise for the newly installed composition rules, I can only see
> them with the Siddhanta font. All the other fonts that display
> devanagari seem to show the thin empty vertical box to render the
> stress accents.

If those "other fonts" cause the characters in a sequence not to be
supported by a single font, then again, this is the intended behavior.