Re: [ELPA] New package: plz

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: plz
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 18:51:37 +0300

> From: Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 16:22:26 +0200
>
> Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:
>
> > plz.el is a library to make HTTP requests using curl, akin to url.el and
> > request.el.  It attempts to provide a better API and avoid some of the
> > problems found in the other libraries, such as with callbacks.
> >

> Thanks for writing this package.  I remember there's been a lot of
> discussion in emacs-devel about improving url.el, the Emacs core library
> to fetch from URLs.  If your library improves on the pain points of
> url.el, I think it can be a candidate for inclusion in core Emacs, once
> it's stable enough.

A significant disadvantage of using an external program for such a
core feature is that everyone has to have this program installed.  And
since we cannot rely on that, we will have to preserve the support for
url.el everywhere where fetching URLs is required.  So adding this to
core actually increases the maintenance burden.