Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - design

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - design
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 21:52:52 +0200

> I think "taking" is the better verb here instead of "doing", tho
> hopefully some native anglophone can confirm.
>
>>     SurveyPart("Packages",
>>         MultiSelect(:package_manager,
>>             "How do you manage third-party packages?",
>>             ["My framework/starter kit's default" => "framework default",
>>              "package.el (built-in)" => "package.el",
>>              "straight.el" => "straight.el",
>>              "use-package" => "use-package.el",
>>              "manual (git clone/download)" => "manual",
>>              "not sure", :other]),
>
> `use-package` looks out of place, since I don't think it offers any
> facilities to download/install/update/uninstall packages.

Really?  (use-package foobar :ensure t) will download and install the
foobar package.  If it does that itself or tells package.el to do it
doesn't really matter.

FWIW, I'd select use-package in that question + package.el (for
deletion) and auto-package-update (missing!) for updates without having
to manually go through the *Packages* buffer.

Bye,
Tassilo