Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - design

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - design
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 07:13:13 +0000

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 6:00 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> wrote:
>>
>> PS: The absence of support for multiple nationalities is also somewhat
>> annoying.  Maybe it's more relevant (and less troublesome) to ask where
>> people currently live rather than worry about their nationalities.
>>

> On that note, how about asking in terms of geographical regions?  E.g.:
>
> Where do you live?
> - Africa
> - Asia/Pacific (including the Indian Subcontinent)
> - Europe
> - North America
> - South America

I believe this is better than nationality, though a little more details
wouldn't be bad.  If you group the middle east with New Zealand you
might as well not ask where people live at all.  The question seems
interesting to get a rough idea of how popular Emacs is in different
parts of the world, the difference between two neighbouring countries
seems negligible.

In this context it might also be interesting to ask what kind of
Hardware is being used and how they perceive performance to be like.  I
can imagine that more people in the western world will have access to
newer and faster hardware, on which grounds they would argue for this or
that feature to be enabled.  The survey could help show if e.g. people
in the global south are bound to older hardware that would suffer from
computationally intensive features.

Another semi-unrelated question might be to estimate the popularity of
Emacs or other editors amongst other developers they know.  I'd expect
less interesting or consistent information to result from this, but it
might also help draw a picture of what options people consider in what
parts of the world.