Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - design

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - design
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:19:29 +0200

> I’m pushing for a 2022 Emacs survey.

Always fun.  Thanks!

> provide some feedback on the survey

> ** How do you manage third-party packages?

Please include borg (https://github.com/emacscollective/borg).  It may
not have many users but then again, it may.  Only one way to find out.

> - [ ] Frequently
> - [ ] Rarely
> - [ ] Never

That's like those scientific studies that only offer four levels of X to
choose from, except here it's only three choices here.  What about "All
the time", to get at least to the level of detail, that that Covid study
I took part in, had?  Maybe also add "Occasionally" in the middle; the
neutral option that is so often missing?

[Is anyone aware of a study about whether leaving out a neural option
leads to more polarized results? I.e., is mildly-pro+mildly-contra ~=
mildly-pro+neutral+mildly-contra, or are respondents encouraged to
pick the extremes (e.g., because both mild variants are seen as neutral
in the absence of a fully neutral choice)?]

> ** Do you have any general feedback on the survey?

That's it?  That wasn't many questions.

They would need some work, but here are some I would be interested in:

- How do you learn about new packages?
- Do you try out new interesting packages immediately, or wait for them
  to mature?
- Do you sometimes discover old package and use them instead of newer
  alternatives?
- Do you research established alternatives when a new shiny package
  comes along?
- Do you install the packages that you maintain yourself using package.el?
  (As opposed to manually adding the appropriate directory to the load-path.)
- Do you publish your own packages on an *ELPA as soon as they are
  usable, or do let them mature a bit first?  (Why the former?)
- How often do you contribute new features to the packages you use?
- How often do you contribute bugfixes to the packages you use?
- How often do you ask the maintainers of the packages you use for help?
- Where do you request help with packages that are part of GNU Emacs?
- Where do you request help with packages that are not part of GNU Emacs?
- If you use a starter-kit, who do you usually ask for help first; the
  starter-kit maintainers, the package maintainers, the wider community?
- What do you do if your feature request or contribution is rejected?
- What documentation do you wish package authors would more often
  provide? [] Comparison with alternatives [] Tutorials [] Design
  rational [] Info manual [] Screenshots [] Videos [] Concise
  introduction [] ... [ ] <input field>.

     Cheers,
     Jonas